As much as we love summer festivals and concerts, deciding on what to wear can be tricky. Mary Jane's owner, Lori Harris, gives us the inside scoop on the do's and don'ts of summer festival style.
FESTIVAL FASHION WITH LORI HARRIS
What are "must have's" when going to an outdoor concert?
- Whites and lighter colors (to look fresh), sheer or lightweight materials such as chiffon or linen (to stay cool), shades (when you are not in the shade), flats or mini-wedges (for comfort), and water (to counteract the other libations and keep you hydrated)
Is there a favorite new trend this year that works for a festival?
- I am loving a long vest or a split side long tunic to wear over a bodysuit, swimsuit or tank/shorts. Bodysuits will be seen throughout the summer and into fall and winter. If you are super-fit, it is a great way to show off your body with a sheer dress over the top.
What's the biggest mistake women make when dressing for an outdoor show?
- Not thinking about staying cool and comfortable. Summer concerts are typically held at outdoor locations with uneven ground and lots of dirt and dust. There is usually a sprinkler area, misters or even a dipping pool. So wearing a quick drying suit under a cover up is a great way to look fashionable yet stay comfortable for an all day event.
Tell us about the brands/styles you have in store now that are perfect for heading to a festival.
- Fringe is still "hot" for the festival scene. I love suede skirts with or without layers of fringe at the bottom paired with a crop top, large tote bags with fringe to carry all of your accessories (such as our Sam Edelman or Melie Bianco bags), Maya Moon feather or fringe key fobs as an added accessory to bags or shorts, and of course shoes with fringe (such as our Musse & Cloud shootie, Seychelles/BC fringe flat sandals or our Sam Edelman pointy toe bootie).
What shows will you be going to this summer? What will you wear?
- I am excited about a few shows this summer including:
- July 12th Pitbull at USANA Amphitheater. I am wearing a printed Bishop & Young Jumpsuit with a chunky heel and off white blazer (ode to Pitbull's usual white suit).
- July 14th Emmylou Harris and Lyle Lovett at Deer Valley (Big Stars, Bright Nights) - I will probably be sporting a Veronica M or Bishop & Young romper with some fringe sandals by Seychelles/BC and a sweater for when it gets a bit chilly in the evening.
-July 22nd - 24th Cheyenne Frontier Rodeo in Cheyenne WY with Sam Hunt, Fallout Boy and Billy Currington. This one will require breaking out my favorite vintage cowboy boots courtesy of Cowboy Cash (in Bend, OR) to wear with a red-bandana inspired dress by Current Elliott (in store now) or a white gauzy dress by Heartloom also in store right now over a tank and a pair of cutoff denim distressed shorts.
And that's just July...can't wait for August.
Emily (top photo) is wearing Bishop + Young printed romper, Judy's feather floppy hat, and Julie Miles bracelet.
Lower photo: Prairie Underground gauze dress, Musse & Cloud galia fringe, and Julie Miles bracelet.
Marley is wearing Line & Dot lyon lace dress, Frye tall fatigue boots, and Rusted Pearl necklace.